Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Developer Question...
Hi Guys... Quick Question

I own a small Event Space in Mojave Calif, and I am adding Live Action Role Playing (LARP) to the site. It is basically a Scavenger Hunt style game using our in-house Android Pads, running the App that guides you through the Game. I am looking for a Developer to help port the APP to Unity, over from HTML (where I originally started working on the Demo Concept). It will be a Unity based APP, using the Vuforia Plug-in. 

Description: What Is Starbase 1? 

Starbase 1 is a 21st century, real world Scavenger Hunt Game, where GPS-enabled or QR Code Game Pieces are Found and Scanned using a Smart Device. A Player Levels Up, and Gains Rank based on their Score. Points are obtained by capturing and scanning Mission Targets, Bonus Mission Targets, and Deploying, Maintaining and Retrieving Remote Mission Equipment. As you gain Experience, we encourage you to track your own Bonus Mission Targets, which will also add points to your Score, as well as the Team's. Mission Targets come in many sizes and shape, but will contain either a QR-Code style Barcode, or a GPS Tag Tracking Device, or both. The QR code is Scanned, then Logged in the Mission Report. And of course, there will be Tribble Hunting...

Link to Demo APP:
http://rabbirick.pairserver.com/Mission-Bravo/

Link to BBS:
http://starfleetmngmt.proboards.com/

Link to the Site:
http://starbase1.org/

What Do I Need:
I am porting the build of the APP Demo over to Unity from HTML, so the "Look and Feel" Design is mostly done, and the Graphics are not that Complex. 

1. How much should I be looking to Budget for the Demo Por? 

2. How long should I be looking at the Job taking? 

3. How/Where should this be listed on the Job Board? 

Thanks, and Looking forward to your Responses... either here, or by Email...

in service,

Rick Smith
iMachine Gamewerkz 
iMachine (at) Hotmail (.com)
Hi Rick, since you are rolling this out in a real-world commercial environment, you'll need stricter quality than for a purely digital game - which be easily patched and controlled.

I'd suggest at a you're looking to find an experienced freelance Unity developer, which will run you at about $1000/week, for four weeks work. This is just my estimate for a few minutes of looking at your materials.

For something this complex you'll want a very detailed brief about what you want to achieve. You might also want to post to the Unity forums and Subreddit since you situation is quite unique.

Why did you start building in HTML instead of Unity? Maybe you should try using Unity a bit first yourself before you hire anyone, and see what you can accomplish? What do you want out of Unity that HTML cannot deliver?

You might want to consider not just porting it to Unity, but taking advantage of the animations, FX etc. that Unity can allow.
(06-09-2019, 10:09 AM)Richard_E Wrote: Hi Rick, since you are rolling this out in a real-world commercial environment, you'll need stricter quality than for a purely digital game - which be easily patched and controlled.

I'd suggest at a you're looking to find an experienced freelance Unity developer, which will run you at about $1000/week, for four weeks work. This is just my estimate for a few minutes of looking at your materials.

For something this complex you'll want a very detailed brief about what you want to achieve. You might also want to post to the Unity forums and Subreddit since you situation is quite unique.

Why did you start building in HTML instead of Unity? Maybe you should try using Unity a bit first yourself before you hire anyone, and see what you can accomplish? What do you want out of Unity that HTML cannot deliver?

You might want to consider not just porting it to Unity, but taking advantage of the animations, FX etc. that Unity can allow.

Thanks Richard.... I really appreciate, the feedback...

So from what I can gather, you said;
1. Go with a Developer
2. Budget should be about $7,500
3. Have a tight, well thought out GDD
4. Make sure to shop around. There  are a lot of Great Developers spread around everywhere...

Coolness... These are all great points, many of course I have already considered, but always nice to get the second opinion that cooberates your thinking. After reading through several Posts on the Unity Forum, it was suggested I  start my search here. 

I started building in HTML simp because that's what I know. I just wanted the demo to show the Developer so he could get the look and feel of what I was trying to accomplish. When I say Port, I say it very loosely... There are people who are stuffed with amazing talent, far beyond any hokey stuff I can kick out. I just need  get the semantics of the Game into a form that they can understand and work with. I recently started looking into coding the demo myself, at least having a basic understanding of what is going on under the hood of the APP (that's how I initially learned HTML), I wanted control over updating my own Websites, which eventually led to me building most of them. The learning curve for Unity seems similar. I have noticed that a lot of the "Sample Making Videos" require a lot of forehand coding knowledge, that you have learned on other Platforms.  

An APP gives me more Control over the Process, allowing me to use it off-line as a Standalone, and allows me leeway to expand into a more sophisticated Game Simulation. I may want to expand the Branded APP into more Real World situations, similar to GO PIKACHU(?) setup, or any one of the Geo-chaching Based APPs. 

So, it should be posted in the Commercial [Paid - Ongoing]?

in service,
Rick
Yep, Commercial Job Offering --> Programming

[Paid] represents a once-off job, usually linked to specific milestones being achieved, which is what this is.

[Ongoing] would be something like a 3+ month contract where the freelancer is expected to work and be available at regular hours every business day. [Ongoing] of course works for full-time permanent roles as well.

Good luck! If you have any feedback about the forum, I'm happy to hear.